Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Things happen for a reason

March 11th,  I have been called into Logan School District for a job interview.  I am excited and nervous at the same time.  I am currently an intern in Logan School District and have loved my experience there, but my heart really longs to be in the Cache School District.  I had worked 5 years previously in the Cache District and know how effective the programs and resources are to the students learning. I long to teach there again, so I have mixed feelings about the interview with Logan.  I want to have a job in the valley regardless, so I don't want to blow the interview.  I know that Cache is interviewing on the 18th at the Job Fair up to USU and I want to be able to do that interview as well.  But....... What if Logan offers me a job first before I have the opportunity to interview with Cache?  Do I accept? Do I ask if I can "think" about it and let them know after I interview with Cache?  Will that be a deal breaker for them?  Will they want an answer?  ...... I will probably just tell them yes and then secretly interview with Cache?  If Cache gives me a job, then I can just tell Logan.... never mind.   Oh, but wait... Logan will be up to the Job Fair too and will see that I am there interviewing with Cache. They won't like me after that, but if I don't sign a contract, then I should be okay. WHAT TO DO? WHAT TO DO?  I asked many, many friends and fellow teachers what I should do and how they would handle it, if it were them?  No clear answer really came to me.  So, I pray.

2:00, it is time for the interview.  Six principals all in one room grilling me with questions one after another.  I felt confident, I felt sure.  The answers that I gave after each question seemed to be appropriate and clear. I leave feeling overall pretty good about the interview. They told me that they would let me know in a few days.  So, I still stew in the thought of what to say if I am offered a position.  I feel a little cocky as I think that they will be offering me a job, but I feel that I have a lot to offer with my experience.  I wait.....  I Pray.....

Friday afternoon, the principal of Woodruff ( who was in the interview with Logan) calls me in his office.  I again think..... "What do I say if they offer me the job?"  I really want to interview with Cache too, but not lose an opportunity in Logan either.

No worries... He informs me that there isn't a contract available at the time, but that I am in the final pool and come and see them at the job fair.   I have been let off the hook.  It was more like a screening than a final interview I guess. YAY! I can still interview with Cache! But, for some reason, I am really bummed...  "Why don't they want me?"  I have worked hard for Logan as an intern.  I took it personal.  I told my mentor that I was going to go home and have a good cry..... However, I went home  and really felt like this was an answer to my prayers of what to say. I don't have to worry about that now.  No need to cry, this was for a reason.

March 18th.... Job Fair Day up to USU!  I was there for one thing and one thing only, to land a job in Cache....

I arrive early, get my name tag on, wait in a seriously LONG line to even enter the Fair.  I wait, look at the other candidates, look at the map of the over 120 districts recruiting.  I find where to go to talk to Cache and wait again.   Finally, the line starts moving.  I go directly to the Cache station and set up a time to interview for 9:30 in the University Inn.  I wait for a while until it is closer to time to meet and then head over.  I meet with the principal from Lewiston Elementary, Robin is her name.  She is so nice and very calming to talk with.   The room had multiple representatives from the district doing the interviews, I just was lucky to meet with her because she made me feel very comfortable (unlike LOGAN). I introduced myself and sold what I had to offer the best I knew how.  She asked if I would be around after lunch to possibly do a second interview.  Of course, I said yes.  She told me that they would call/text me to schedule a time.  We look at my resume that had my home number on it and I told her that I would like her to call my cell phone since I wasn't going to be home, so we both wrote my cell number down and then parted.  I was excited!

I left USU and went shopping for a little while, then to lunch.  All the time, I was holding my phone and constantly waiting to receive a text or call for the second interview. NO TEXT... NO CALL.... I drive toward USU and wait in my car at the bottom of Old Main, still looking at my phone.  Now, I am getting discouraged.  I guess it didn't go as well as I thought.  I thought they liked me?  Bummed.....  It is now 1:00 and I know that the interviews were suppose to end at 2:00.  I drive up to the University Inn and just go to the interview location with the hope that there was some mistake.  I see all these men and women still filing into the room for interviews.  I ask them... "Is this your 1st interview?"  No... they had all been called back for a second.  Okay.... now I am really bummed.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!   I know I have more to offer than her, or her..... or her.   Seriously!  I wait, hoping for a window of opportunity to ask if there had been a mistake or if I could please have a second interview.  The line of applicants is long and forever.  I wait... and wait... it becomes after 2:30 and  Principal Robins happen to see me sitting there and asks me, "How long have you been sitting there waiting?"  I told him that I didn't know if I was "waiting", because I hadn't gotten a phone call back for a second interview, but I wanted to see what I could do after there was  a break to talk to someone.  He said just a minute and went to talk with the District leaders.  He pulled me into the room where  it was now cleared of applicants, but interviewers remained (including high district leaders).  They showed me the list and I was on the top for second interviews but had been marked as a no-show.  I explained that I didn't get a text or call and it was just left at that....no more questions asked.

I did the second interview with a District leader (can't remember his name).  He was so nice and asked me many, many questions, all of which I felt that I rocked!  He was always smiling and nodding his head as he kept notes.  I felt like I  made a great impression.  After the interview, he looked at me and said.  "I have only done this one time today, but I am ready to do again."  I said, "what's that?"  "I am offering you a job TODAY!!!  I want you to sign a contract TODAY!!  I was so excited!  He explained that he couldn't tell me the school or position, but that I have a job in Cache if I sign today.  I said, "let's do it!"  He pulled out the contract and the other members of the district came over to meet me and I started to sign. He tells them, "We have a winner!"  One of the ladies said, "you are just going to sign it, just like that?"  I said, "yep!  That's what I came here for. I wanted a job in Cache and I didn't want to go home without one."  She quickly said, "I like her!"

I shook all there hands thanking them and apologizing for my hands being so cold.  They quickly replied, "But your heart is so warm."  AHHHH!   That's Cache for ya!

Long story, but an oh so good one!  I couldn't be happier!  I left the room with a big smile on my face and all the staff in there made me feel like family. There is something about how Cache makes their employees feel and that is only ONE of the reasons that I am happy to be a member of the Cache family!

I will know in April where I will be placed.  I hope that I can be in the South end of the valley, but we will take what we are offered and be happy!   I know that this all played out JUST LIKE THIS for a reason and my Heavenly Father planned this.  He knew I have been stressed and worried about my next step and the whole process.  He didn't let me down, he walked with me every step of the way.

By the way, when I got home....... there was a message on the machine asking me to come in for a second interview.  They had called the wrong number.  Thank goodness I didn't give up and went back up to make it happen!!!!

Things happened for a reason!




No comments:

Post a Comment